Thursday, July 28, 2005

Last night Mrs. Diogenes and I were at the local amphitheatre; it’s not Epidavros, but it’ll do. The headliner was John Mellencamp, but we really came to see the opening act, John Fogarty. Well, that was the reason I came. Mrs. D. isn’t the music buff I am, so she really didn’t connect the name with the music until he started into his first tune, then her eyes lit up. You know, I admire John Mellencamp – I think he’s a great musician and songwriter, and he’s spent a lot of time with worthy causes like Farm Aid, but musically speaking, Fogarty blew his doors off. He sang all of his old stuff, both with and without Creedence Clearwater, and sounded great. The most moving experience for me was when he sang a new song, Déjà vu (All Over Again). The massive television monitors on either side of the stage showed footage of the Viet Nam war as he sang, and I turned to Mrs. D. and said,

“We’re so f**king stupid.”

“Excuse me?”

“He’s singing about Iraq. We’re doing it all over again. You’d think we’d learn by now.”

“Dear, think about your blood pressure,” she said, patting my hand (she does stuff like that).

I smiled and shrugged and continued to listen to the music, but I wondered just how many people were going to have to die before we’d stop this. How many years? How many millions of people will have to take to the streets before the killers in the White House, and their enablers – both Republican and Democrat – will back down? How many scandals? What will it take?

Anyway, here’s the lyrics to John Fogarty’s Déjà vu (All Over Again).


Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Did you try to read the writing on the wall
Did that voice inside you say I've heard it all before
It's like Deja Vu all over again

Day by day I hear the voices rising
Started with a whisper like it did before
Day by day we count the dead and dying
Ship the bodies home while the networks all keep score

Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Could your eyes believe the writing on the wall
Did that voice inside you say I've heard it all before
It's like Deja Vu all over again

One by one I see the old ghosts rising
Stumblin' 'cross Big Muddy
Where the light gets dim
Day after day another Momma's crying
She's lost her precious child
To a war that has no end

Did you hear 'em talkin' 'bout it on the radio
Did you stop to read the writing at The Wall
Did that voice inside you say
I've seen this all before
It's like Deja Vu all over again
It's like Deja Vu all over again

John Fogerty
©2004 Cody River Music / ASCAP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home